How my CP affects my life?

I’ve been meaning to write this blog post for a while!



I’m going to give you a better insight, into how my Cerebral Palsy affects my day to day life.


Currently my main struggle is walking.

I rely on the use of a K - walker, in order to be able to walk.

I find walking extremely painful and use a wheelchair, when I’m not at home.

And my walking is continually deteriorating.


Cerebral Palsy also affects my hand function.

I typically keep my hands in a fist and it’s difficult to pull them out of this position.

I’m unable to form a pincer grasp, which causes many problems.

I can’t write with a pen or pencil, brush my own teeth, shave my legs, prepare my own meals, do buttons, fasten my zip, dress myself and any other fiddly activity.

This massively affects my independence.


I struggle with my arm function too.

This makes reaching for things a daily struggle.

I’m unable to fully extend my arms.

I can’t propel my wheelchair.

My arms are very weak, so I can only lift light objects.


CP also has a big impact on my confidence.

I often feel very embarrassed, when people see me in a wheelchair.

I feel embarrassed when I’m out at restaurants and I need people to cut my food up or occasionally help with feeding.

I know I’ll hate it when I get my new splints too.


CP affects many areas of my life, but I try and not let it get me down.

I hope this blog give you a better insight to my life with Cerebral Palsy.

Thank you for reading

Chloe x












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can no longer walk unaided! 😢

My future, is this common?

I did something new!