Treatments that have helped me over the years



Here are some treatments that have helped me have a better quality of life:

Physiotherapy

Physio has been a big part of my life, ever since I was diagnosed with CP at 11 months. It has helped me do many things that my parents were told I would never do, from walking unaided, crawling, running, riding a bike and so much more. Although it hasn’t been very helpful in recent months, it was a big help when I was younger. A tip for parents, is to keep this going for life, even if you need to go private. 

Occupational therapy 

This has helped me use my hands a little better, although fine motor skills are still incredibly difficult. I continue to have OT sessions 3 times a week. I still don’t have a lot of independence in terms of my hands, so I will probably continue this for quite a few more years. 

Serial Casting and Botox injections 

I have had Serial casting done about 9 times, along side Botox injections for toe walking. It was quite a success the first 1 or 2 times, but after that they no longer worked for me. Doctors told me it was because my body was used to it. I really hated getting this procedure done, as it was quite traumatic at times. 

Splints/AFO’s

I wore long leg splints from the age of 18 months until I was 17 years old. These were to stretch out my calf muscles and keep my heels  closer to the ground. When I was at primary school, I loved picking the patterns for them and showing them to my friends. But once I was at secondary school, I always went for plain black, so that nobody could see them under my black school trousers. 

Operations

Since the age of 5, I have had been in the operating theatre 4 times. This was the one treatment, that I hated. A lot of the time, I would try and get out of these. But they were always so necessary, for controlling pain and stopping the problem at the time from getting worse. 

I’ll be back soon with another blog 
Chloe x 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can no longer walk unaided! 😢

My future, is this common?

It felt amazing!